Tips for Hosting a House Party in Boston
You finally set up your apartment or home in Boston just the way you like it. The décor, the paint and furniture—they are all perfect! Now you would love to share it with your friends or family for a fun evening of celebrating life, love and happiness. But how do you even begin to plan for such a big night?
If this scenario sounds familiar, you came to the right place. We have some simple hostess tips to help you plan and execute a Boston home party that will exceed your own expectations. With a little inspiration from our catering team and expert event planners, you and your guests can enjoy scrumptious food, conversation and long-lasting memories of a night spent at home!
Tips for Inviting Guests to Your Home Party
The company you invite is just as important as the food you serve. Our smart tips will help you with this first step towards a successful home party.
- Send hand-written invitations on custom stationery. This is the old-school way of doing things, but what an oh-so-charming and delightful item for guests to receive in the mail!
- Add an RSVP to your personalized invitations, leaving enough space for guests to include individual dietary restrictions or other notes to the host.
- Ask close friends to arrive early. Having some help preparing the tables and décor will ease stress on you as the hostess and add an opportunity for a little fun before the real party begins.
- Brainstorm through your Boston network. Find acquaintances to introduce to your core group of friends and family. Having a bright new personality could spice up the usual conversation and possibly lead to new friendships. If this is a work-related party, maybe consider inviting a Boston VIP!
Tips to Dress Up Your House Party
As a great hostess, you probably have a piece of pottery or serving plate that doubles as a collector’s item neatly tucked away in your cabinet. Having a party at your beautiful Boston home is the ideal time to use it! Any food you serve will look exquisite if placed on a serving plate that shows your personal style.
We’ve also thought of some other ways to style your party that will make guests feel like kings and queens for the night!
- Stylish serving plates can be scattered on the hors d’oeuvre table, nonchalantly impressing guests and willing them to try the delectable bites you’ve prepared.
- Silver flatware will make guests feel particularly special! If you have a treasured collection, place enough forks, knives and spoons on a beautiful serving plate, allowing guests to serve themselves. For a more formal approach to a home party, set the table ahead of time with your freshly shined silverware.
- Glassware and napkins are both decorative and functional. Trendy glassware and seasonal or modern prints on your napkins add class to your Boston home party and double as tabletop décor!
- Hostess tip: Two glasses per person will be enough to cover a variety of beverages, and two or three small and large napkins for each guest will suffice for appetizers and main dishes.
- Other home party décor will add some extra flair. Bring out the candles, set the tone with chill background music, turn on all of your mood lights—it’s a celebration, and your house deserves to look good!
Tips for Serving Beverages at Your Boston House Party
Make the flow into your party easy for guests by guiding them to the collection of refreshments. Use some of these ideas to impress them with your creativity.
- Non-alcoholic drinks like pre-made homemade ginger ale, Italian sodas or a fruity sparkling virgin punch can look classy in a glass carafe!
- Hostess tip: We suggest 1 8-oz specialty drink per guest. Also consider having bottles of bubbly water on hand, as not everyone will want a sweet drink.
- Wines—the traditional dinner party staple! Have guests serve themselves, or a bartender can help make the evening flow flawlessly.
- Hostess tip: One bottle should serve 2 people per hour.
- Signature cocktails also have a place at your Boston home party. Talk with our catering team to plan one that defines your personal style or party theme.
- Champagne to host a toast requires one glass per person.
- Hostess tip: One 750ml bottle of champagne serves 6 people.
Tips for Serving Irresistible Food at Your Party at Home in Boston
Our premier Boston catering company is always ready and willing to help you prepare the most scrumptious set of hors d’oeuvres and main dishes. If you prefer to take on some of the dishes yourself, these suggestions will help.
- Make the main dish beforehand. After simply heating it up in the oven, you will not only make the house smell AMAZING but also create time for yourself to mingle instead of laboring in the kitchen.
- Serve a familiar dish. Do not stray from your usual specialty. A new idea on Pinterest may seem like a smart move, but it’s safer to stick to what you know when hosting a large number of guests.
- Hostess tip: Encourage a close friend to help you with the clean-up. It’s a good way to decompress and have some treasured one-on-one time after the big crowd leaves.
Our innovative dishes are listed in the sample menus online, offering a highlight of our award-winning options sure to please any crowd. We can always customize the menus to accommodate any dietary restrictions for guests at your home party.
We would love to help plan the perfect, intimate night at your Boston home party. If we sound like the right fit, you can call our expert catering team at (617) 581-1150 or email us through our contact page.
If you aren’t really sure about hiring a catering company, start by following us on Twitter or Facebook to get to know us better! We hope we can help you make a gorgeous—and delicious!—evening to remember.
More Articles You Might Also Like:
Timothy Seeberg is the Director of Major Events at BG.